Monday, July 20, 2009

Thank 'ya kindly!

I held the timer close but was being very aware of where I was in relation to the shooter. I didn’t want to interfere with him in any way if it could be avoided. I attempted to predict what he would do with the buzzer sounded and remain within arms reach of the guns should the need arrive. This was a good shooter and very competitive and I wanted him to have a good run. I couldn’t help but notice the look on his face as he shot through the stage. He looked as though he was in pain. His face was drawn, eyes fixed, with a slacked jaw, breathing hard. He was working on it and working hard.

After he completed his run, I turned and gave the score keeper the time then looked at the counters and polled them. 22.8 seconds and clean – a very good run for this stage. In my peripheral vision I could see the shooter. He had paused with rifle in one hand, shotgun in the other and he was listening to what everyone was saying. Of course he was interested, it was his score. I pointed to him and he looked at me puzzled. I gave him a “thumbs up” and said two words, “Good run!” The reaction was visible and almost exaggerated. He visibly relaxed, flashed a big smile, nodded a yes and headed for the unloading table. On his way to the table I could hear others congratulating him on a job well done.

Many years ago I took part in a study in human behavior. We parked a car on the shoulder of the road, raised the hood like there was a problem, and had a woman stand at the front of the car looking worried and very concerned. Over the period of one hour, we counted the cars that passed waiting to see how long it would take for some to stop and offer assistance to a “lady in distress.”

Later in the same location we again conducted the experiment in a somewhat different manner. We had two cars about a half mile apart parked with the hood up. Again, the lady stood in front of the first car with a raised hood acting for all she could as though she was in distress. However, this time we had a man parked in front of her with flashers going and he was talking to her with her pointing to here engine. The second car was also a “lady in distress” in the same manner as the first, however this time there was no help. She was looking about as though to say, “Will someone help me?” The difference in the two experiments was dramatic. In the first experiment there were only two men who stopped and offered to help the lady in distress. In the second experiment there were nine men who stopped to help the second distressed car.

We are all so centered on ourselves that sometimes we need to be reminded that a kind word to someone else brings tremendous results. When I congratulated the shooter for a job well done it was like a fresh breeze had blown through the posse. Not only did the shooter receive well deserved praise for a job well done, the others on the posse were reminded to encourage and were rewarded with strengthened bonds of friendship. Even those who watch in silence responded to this simple act of kindness, “Good run!” Encouragement pays huge dividends.

No comments: